Thursday 11 July 2013

Dingoes

Often I'm kept awake at night by howling dingoes. People ask me whether I'm afraid, especially when packs of them howl near the tent. My standard answer is 'no, I'm a bit heavier than Azaria' but it can be a bit chilling.


Image pilfered from The Age

Over the summer there was a lone howler. It would belt out a tune down the hill every night about 10pm, another would reply across the valley, another up the mountain. 
I got imagining the conversation:
     'Where are you?'
          'Over here'
     'Where?'
          'O-VER heeee-Ya'
     'I'm hungry'
          'Me too. got anything?'
     'Just roo. you?'
   ...

Suddenly one day the howler was gone. Then I find a corpse hanging in the tree.



Farmers hate dingoes, they eat sheep. So do National Parks. They eat endangered critters.
Dont know who shot my howler, more than likely Rodney or Russell, maybe my neighbour Ben. Why they always hang the corpse in the tree or fence, I don't know but the dingo trappers always have. I suspect its notching up scores...

I went a browsing for the answers and found this tasty video. Delegate is about 50km, as the crow flies, away. It's a tad repetitive, you wont miss much if you truncate it.

Youtube video of Wildman dingo hunter